Thursday, February 5, 2009

Google helps you keep track of friends

In CNN's article Google latitude keeps tabs on frends' locations (here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/04/google.latitude/index.html) Google basicly used their Google Maps that they have already created, and added location tracking tools. The latitude software is part of Google Maps and would work on iGoogle, Google Maps for Mobile (basically most smartphones) and possibly iPhone and iTouch users soon. The software not only uses GPS satelites but also proximity to cell phone towers in order to get a correct location on the user's whereabouts. This is a feature that you would have to sign up for as well as confirm who can see your location.

This sounds exactly like what iPhone already features so I don't know why thier users would be interesed in this application, and to me this is just CREEPY!!! What are you going to do when your boyfriend or girlfriend asks to confirm you so they can see where you are? It just puts everyone in an awkward situation when you break up. You already have to break up with them on facebook but now you probably also want to block them from seeing where you are. I feel like it's just asking for stalkers. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not that insecure that I need to know where my friends are at every second of the day. Oh no, they are at the bar without me...it's the end of the world. I don't know, it's just not for me.

No comments: