Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blockbuster vs. Netflix

I found the article "Blockbuster Offers Videos Via Internet" at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123189862045179953.html



I think this is interesting because at the beginning of the quarter we talked about how Netflix is offering movies online as a part of their services. When we talked about it I thought that Blockbuster may not be offering movies online yet, but they still had the advantage. You can take your movies to th store to return them and get a new one. Now they have a clear advantage. In marketing terms, Netflix hasn't been in existance for very long. When it comes to movie rentals, people are more likely to think of Blockbuster since it has been available for many more years. Also, the options for returning your movie as well as getting a new movie are much more of a benefit than Netflix can offer.



I may be a bit bias, my brother used to work at Blockbuster. But if I were looking towards buying one of these services I would buy the one that has the most options available for getting movies fast, and that looks towards blockbuster. . I am also thinking that services like these may become more popular as the economy worsens. Who wants to go to a movie when it costs 10+ dollars for just one movie ticket now days? It would be cheaper to rent movies from these services, than going out to a movie. I think Blockbuster defiently has an advantage.

No comments: