Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Article Week 1

This blog was inspired by Brian's post of the article "How to handle the job offer you can't afford"

The URL for the article is:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122817186202670399.html

What most interested me about this article was that the people mentioned ended up taking the position and negotiating a higher salary or compromising with commission in order to receive the higher pay. The thing is that the people mentioned have probably been in the industry for a long time and have the experience necessary in order to negotiate a higher pay. What I would like to know is how recent graduates can go into the 'real world' for the first time and be able to negotiate a better pay without the real world experience.

This article interested me because I just had an informational interview yesterday and the interviewer brought up pay just so I would know what I was getting into. I was expecting it would be low because it was an entry level position but I never would have imagined it was as low as the number she told me. All I could think of was if I would be able to make my loan payments making so little. I don't even have a family, or house to pay for but I have to make some sort of living when I graduate. I'm concerned in this job market that I'm going to have to settle for a job that can't compensate me for my work.

1 comment:

REK said...

Nice response! I've a couple stylistic suggestions for you. One, include a link to the post by Bryan that you mention. Two rather than pasting in the URL to a source, embed it in a link.